>

Visiting from Scotland for Eintracht v Wolfsburg

This Thread was moved by littlecrow on Friday, 01. January 2016, 18:26 Uhr at 18:26 Uhr Reason:
#
Hello all and happy new year!

I am sorry I speak little to no Deutsche but I wonder if someone can give some welcoming advice

I am travelling with a friend to Frankfurt for a weekend to attend a music concert and also to attend our first ever Bundesliga game! We will be travelling from Scotland on Friday 22 January and will be at the Eintracht v Wolfsburg game on the Sunday!

We are both huge Glasgow Rangers fans and are looking forward to going to a game to see another club with a huge atmosphere, we really can't wait!

We wonder, where is best to meet fans and have some beers before the game? I expect it to be cold in January (not different from Scotland!) so is there some indoor as well as outdoor drinking areas?

Other than that, we are just gonna have a great time and check out as much as we can, if anyone has any recommendations for us or advice please let us know. We love beer, football and good bars (not expensive!)

Thank you in advance and see you soon!

Joe
#

I am sorry I speak little to no Deutsche but I wonder if someone can give some welcoming advice

I am travelling with a friend to Frankfurt for a weekend to attend a music concert and also to attend our first ever Bundesliga game! We will be travelling from Scotland on Friday 22 January and will be at the Eintracht v Wolfsburg game on the Sunday!

We are both huge Glasgow Rangers fans and are looking forward to going to a game to see another club with a huge atmosphere, we really can't wait!

We wonder, where is best to meet fans and have some beers before the game? I expect it to be cold in January (not different from Scotland!) so is there some indoor as well as outdoor drinking areas?

Other than that, we are just gonna have a great time and check out as much as we can, if anyone has any recommendations for us or advice please let us know. We love beer, football and good bars (not expensive!)

Joe
#
Hello! Happy New Year!!!

Vs Wolfsburg it's a Sunday Game... you can go to "Alt Sachsenhausen"... there are a lot of Bars and Restaurants, but Sunday it's a little bit quieter than Saturday... Eintracht Fans drink more beers on Saturday-Games than Sunday
Another Offer: You can go to Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof, there are two Bars "Gleis 25", or "Zapfhahn", there are a lot of Fans before the Game... or to the Irish-Pub O'reillys, oh i forget you are Rangers Fans, ha ha
#

Joe
#
Hello Leblond,

first of all, don't worry about language-skills. Of course you may pop into irish-pubs either next to the main-station or in the often quotet "Alt-Sachsenhausen", a district south of the river full of bars and restaurants, but even anywhere else you'll certainly get along in english.

About the climate: well yes, it's supposed to be cold in January. But for some reason winter has not yet arrived and who knows if it will until your stopover? Anyhow, here are some hints on where to "pre-match-booze":

http://community.eintracht.de/forum/diskussionen/79329

Although you said you're fond of beer, don't miss trying Apfelwein - our local rather sour cider. Good ones are being sold in traditional restaurants for example in Alt-Sachsenhausen. Avoid the industrial ones ... so once you come close to the stadium, better stick to beer.

Whatever the laughter of Diegito is supposed to mean, there is no rivalry to Glasgow. In fact not few of the older Frankfurt fans try to keep up friendship going back to 1960 and as we too have experienced years in lower divisions, we perfecly feel with you. So just enjoy your visit!
#
Hello Leblond,

first of all, don't worry about language-skills. Of course you may pop into irish-pubs either next to the main-station or in the often quotet "Alt-Sachsenhausen", a district south of the river full of bars and restaurants, but even anywhere else you'll certainly get along in english.

About the climate: well yes, it's supposed to be cold in January. But for some reason winter has not yet arrived and who knows if it will until your stopover? Anyhow, here are some hints on where to "pre-match-booze":

http://community.eintracht.de/forum/diskussionen/79329

Although you said you're fond of beer, don't miss trying Apfelwein - our local rather sour cider. Good ones are being sold in traditional restaurants for example in Alt-Sachsenhausen. Avoid the industrial ones ... so once you come close to the stadium, better stick to beer.

Whatever the laughter of Diegito is supposed to mean, there is no rivalry to Glasgow. In fact not few of the older Frankfurt fans try to keep up friendship going back to 1960 and as we too have experienced years in lower divisions, we perfecly feel with you. So just enjoy your visit!
#
Haliaeetus schrieb:

Whatever the laughter of Diegito is supposed to mean

Rangers and Irish, wasn´t there something?  
#
Haliaeetus schrieb:

#
eSGEhtgutab schrieb:  

Haliaeetus schrieb:

I don't know. I'm aware of the old conflicts between catholics and protestants but didn't quite consider this to be alive as  Irish Pubs are allwasy packed also with english people.
Anyhow: you'll get along well in any part of Frankfurt speaking english only and you may chose if you see the irish and even between beer and Apfelwein
#
Thank you all very much for the replies, some great advice and I am looking forward to the game and trip even more!

Apologies for late reply, i could not access the forum for a while!

See you all soon!
#
Thank you all very much for the replies, some great advice and I am looking forward to the game and trip even more!

See you all soon!
#
Leblond schrieb:

See you all soon!

Soon!

Have a great time in our beautiful city and hopefully a thrilling match with a winner in black and red of course! Feel free to drop us a few lines afterwards to share your experiances
#
Very excited guys, not long to go at all!

An odd question though, not football related!

Is there any bar which will be open late on this day? WWE Royal Rumble will be on in the early hours of the morning, some bars over here stay open for it, is this the same in Frankfurt or not?  Who does not love the royal rumble?

Would be awesome to catch the event after the big game!

PS. I willbe sure to share my experience afterwards. If any of you visit Scotland please be sure to visit Ibrox and check out our amazing team, the most successful team in the world, no matter what our rivals say

Maybe see you all in Europe when we finally make our return!
#

Is there any bar which will be open late on this day? WWE Royal Rumble will be on in the early hours of the morning, some bars over here stay open for it, is this the same in Frankfurt or not?  Who does not love the royal rumble?

PS. I willbe sure to share my experience afterwards. If any of you visit Scotland please be sure to visit Ibrox and check out our amazing team, the most successful team in the world, no matter what our rivals say

#
Leblond schrieb:

Well, you will definitely find penty of Sports Bars in Frankfurt, like in the Bar & Nightlife District "Alt Sachsenhausen". The question is: Will they be showing Wrestling at all? Depending on which channel bought the license... maybe they'll switch the channel on one of the screens for you if you as kindly . If we would've faced a side with a real rivaly (no one cares about Wolfsburg) you might have catched some real life "Rumble" that night though .

I'd love to visit Ibrox one day, it's a legendary ground and we have a special connection to it as we were the first german team in history to reach the CL final (had a different name back in the day of course). We faced Real Madrid in 1960 in Ibrox after kicking out Rangers in the semi finals (sorry grinning:.
#

#
Leblond schrieb:

Is there any bar which will be open late on this day? WWE Royal Rumble will be on in the early hours of the morning, some bars over here stay open for it, is this the same in Frankfurt or not

I just checked a few pubs and sport bars but couldn´t find anything mentioning wrestling. Sounds like sitting in front of a laptop watching a stream. Anyway, enjoy your trip,  have enough beers and you may forget about wrestling
#
Leblond schrieb:

Is there any bar which will be open late on this day? WWE Royal Rumble will be on in the early hours of the morning, some bars over here stay open for it, is this the same in Frankfurt or not

I just checked a few pubs and sport bars but couldn´t find anything mentioning wrestling. Sounds like sitting in front of a laptop watching a stream. Anyway, enjoy your trip,  have enough beers and you may forget about wrestling
#
eSGEhtgutab schrieb:  

Leblond schrieb:

I also checked back with our WWE enthusiasts here in the forum, they doubt there'll be any broadcasting. It's in the middle of the night AND a sunday night / monday morning. So eSGEhtgutab should be right: Stream or die .
#
Hello again all!

Well what can I say? This weekend was fucking AWESOME! What a great city and we definitely picked the correct game to go to!

We seriously had an amazing time, day 1 we tried the local drinks and food including Apfelwein, I have to say it was nice but I still prefer more sparkling cider! The beers and food were awesome and not expensive which was great!

Day 2 we attended a concert, Manowar at the Jahrhunderthalle, and again got so fucking drunk! We actually got a bit lost as we got off at the wrong station and had to walk about 1.5KM through dark muddy woods to get to the venue but it was great as many fans did the same thing and it made it more interesting!

I absolutely love how you can freely drink alcohol outdoors which was great outside the venue, here in Scotland you would get a fine form the Police for outdoor drinking!!

Day 3 and surely the best day, the big game!  It was so fucking cold but the fans blew me away! What a stunning stadium and your standing and signing section is truly amazing!  All the flags and the songs were mindblowing compared to what we get over here which is a shame!

The actual game was so so good! In the first half I honestly though Eintracht as a team maybe weren't so good but wow what a turn around and finale to the game!  I cannot believe we won and I jumped around like fucking crazy with the fans, got covered in beer but it was so worth it and I was proud to wear my black and white Entracht scarf that night when drinking some more! hahaha

The next day I had the hangover from hell, 3 days of awesome partying and drinking finally caught up on me and I almost still feel the hangover now!

It was so worth it though, what an awesome city, what an awesome trip. Everyone spoke amazing English and appreciated my very poor attempt at German.  A very welcoming city and I know I will return again!

Thank you all for the advice before coming and see you again next time!
#
Hello again all!

Well what can I say? This weekend was fucking AWESOME! What a great city and we definitely picked the correct game to go to!

We seriously had an amazing time, day 1 we tried the local drinks and food including Apfelwein, I have to say it was nice but I still prefer more sparkling cider! The beers and food were awesome and not expensive which was great!

Day 2 we attended a concert, Manowar at the Jahrhunderthalle, and again got so fucking drunk! We actually got a bit lost as we got off at the wrong station and had to walk about 1.5KM through dark muddy woods to get to the venue but it was great as many fans did the same thing and it made it more interesting!

I absolutely love how you can freely drink alcohol outdoors which was great outside the venue, here in Scotland you would get a fine form the Police for outdoor drinking!!

Day 3 and surely the best day, the big game!  It was so fucking cold but the fans blew me away! What a stunning stadium and your standing and signing section is truly amazing!  All the flags and the songs were mindblowing compared to what we get over here which is a shame!

The actual game was so so good! In the first half I honestly though Eintracht as a team maybe weren't so good but wow what a turn around and finale to the game!  I cannot believe we won and I jumped around like fucking crazy with the fans, got covered in beer but it was so worth it and I was proud to wear my black and white Entracht scarf that night when drinking some more! hahaha

The next day I had the hangover from hell, 3 days of awesome partying and drinking finally caught up on me and I almost still feel the hangover now!

It was so worth it though, what an awesome city, what an awesome trip. Everyone spoke amazing English and appreciated my very poor attempt at German.  A very welcoming city and I know I will return again!

#
Thanks for sharing your impressions. I'm glad you enjoyed your journey including outdoor booze (quite common for us) and a thrilling victorious match (rather an exception, unfortunately).
#
Hello again all!

#
Leblond schrieb:

Hello again all!

Hi and sorry for the late reply. Very nice to hear you had a great trip and more importantly a great weekend . You definitely picked the right match, even though the first half was a total disaster from our team. As you saw they fortunately turned it around in the 2nd half and the grand finale... what can I say? Let's put it this way: It was a good day to recruit some new eagles enthusiasts . Guess you also got a sense of what it's like to support a club other than lame old Bayern in Germany. You're very likely not getting those emotions at the Allianz Arena. It's a library crowd over there, used to winning and winning high against pretty much every side expect for Barca I guess. Glad you liked the atmosphere at our stadium, and still you even picked a game with a very poor attendance. Not sure, but I think it's the all-season-low so far. Usually it's somewhere around 45.000 people and up. But good for you because you were free to pick any of the stands . Which one did you end up on?

Frankfurt is a very international city, not only because of it's big airport. You have people from all parts of the world and you are right: It's a welcoming city too and you'll be just fine with english almost everywhere here. To me that's something to be proud of.

Didn't know you'll also visit the "old fur-pants" in Manowar, but Jahrhunderthalle is a very nice venue to attend. It can be packed but you also have the possibility to step aside a bit and have some more space for yourself.

Hope you'll come again soon. And bring your friends!

Teilen