>

v Haching

#
Just when you think it can’t get worse, it does! We are out of the drop zone on goal difference only, and on this performance that’s exactly where we deserve to be.

We nearly conceded an early goal, and while we steadied the ship for a bit, the only surprise was how Haching went ahead. A stupid hand-ball gave supposed Frankfurt player, Copado, the chance to convert a penalty on 15 minutes. After that it was an uphill struggle. We were never going to win. We couldn’t keep the ball to save our lives! Our only hopes lay in Pröll’s excellence in goal and the thought that Frommer (starting instead of Van Lent) might get to the pitch of the ball later in the game. He didn’t get that chance.

Confirming Haching’s superiority, Copado got his second ten minutes into the second half, ending the game as a contest. On the hour we made a weird pair of substitutions. The useless Van Lent came in for the perhaps tiring Frommer. Meier, who should have started, came in for Schur, who had been playing well.

2-0 up, Haching were happy to let us play the ball around in the third quarter of the pitch, and take their chances on the counter. Our killer pass never came, of course. And they countered well. Only, man of the match, Pröll’s, brilliance and bravery kept them out. For example, Copado should have had a hat-trick when his number 9 went for glory. Poor old number 9 got done by Pröll when he could have passed to an unmarked Copado for a tap-in.

Our best chances were a couple of long range efforts from Meier. When we needed some movement in the oppo box the only player we have capable of that, Marcus Beierle, was yet again sat on the bench. I wonder why!

In the last couple of minutes the 500+ Frankfurt fans started to give the team hell. It became quite vitriolic after the whistle. While I can understand it, I don’t think it helps a team that seem devoid of confidence.

So what’s gone wrong?

We started the season with a simple 4-4-2 pressing game. It brought rewards. And we’ve left that simple game behind. I couldn’t figure out what configuration we played in the last few games. The players all looked like they had no idea either.

Let’s get back to a simple game and impose it on the opposition. We’re capable of it.

Keep the Faith!

Teilen