>

Bundesliga and Red Cards

#
Look maybe someone can help me understand, it seems to me every time someone int he Bundesliga gets a red card they get suspended for multiple games. This year it has happened to Ochs and now with Russ. Ochs I can understand as it was a very hard foul but Russ... I mean the automatic one game suspension was more than enough. Ok I have vented a bit I continue with my work...
#
following a red card the DFB (football association) bans the player for a certain number of games in the same competition (league/cup), taking into account the type of offence, how bad it was, whether the player is a repeat offender etc.

As a rule of thumb "normal" fouls get 2 games suspension, evil/unfair fouls (eg. Köln's Maniche kicking the stomach of a Leverkusen player while both are lying on the ground) at least 3 games.

maximum ban I am aware of recently was 5 games for Hoffenheim's Carlos Eduardo last year.

the practice is not always consistent, Ochs 4 games were definitely too hard, but he was a repeat offender as he got a red card last year vs Bremen followed by 1 game ban). Russ will get 2 games.
#
automatic one ban suspensions only apply with second yellow cards, with straight reds there's always a DFB assessment and sometimes even a hearing of players and refs etc
#
Hey Holger, Does the the Premiere League do the same thing? I do follow the Bundesliga quite well and I guess it makes sense to a point but man it always does not make sense that the referees do not get punished for their mistakes... That to me is something that should be really looked at..... Vented again... Thanks for the info guys..

Tim
#
another thing that doesnt make sense is that the offending team gets punished not only in the ongoing game but also in the next ones, when they play against competitors,

example: Bayern, HSV and Eintracht compete for the title. When Eintracht play Bayern Ribery gets a red card in a 89th minute. Eintracht benefits for 1 minute but that is it. Next week Bayern play HSV and Ribery is banned for the whole match. HSV benefits which is to Eintracht's detriment..

might make more sense to ban the player for the second leg game.
#
J_Boettcher schrieb:
another thing that doesnt make sense is that the offending team gets punished not only in the ongoing game but also in the next ones, when they play against competitors,

example: Bayern, HSV and Eintracht compete for the title. When Eintracht play Bayern Ribery gets a red card in a 89th minute. Eintracht benefits for 1 minute but that is it. Next week Bayern play HSV and Ribery is banned for the whole match. HSV benefits which is to Eintracht's detriment..

might make more sense to ban the player for the second leg game.  

that would be very hard to control - what with bans that are longer than just one match? the player might be injured in the second leg or so? or retired? but really this would be very complex.

@Tim - in the Premier League the player is banned depending on the reason for the red card. so 'professional foul' is one match, 'violent conduct' three and so on. if a club appeal they might get added a game ban if the FA deems it a 'fruitless appeal'
#
by the way - did you hear about the uefa testing the 5th official (goal line ref) during Europa League matches? with no major success...
#
There is another way that a player can be suspended.  If there is a situation that would have been a foul and there is no card given by the ref.  The DFL can review the footage and suspend or fine the individual involved. Again, this can only happen if no punishment would be dolled out in the game.

As for suspending the player for the return match, what comes aroung goes around so suspend them and let the cards fly.  We will sometimes get the benefit of the player getting cards prior to our game so I think the way they have it is ok plus as Shobberobber has pointed, it would be very difficult to enforce.

Lastly, as for the refs, I remember somewhere that the World cup will have four linesman and one ref to screw up the matches but nothing about the goal ref.  The goal ref seems stupid as there is technology already to be implemented that could resolve this issue.  The powers that be dont want to implement it.  Something needs to be done as I have seen on two times when Bayern profited from goals not being goals.  Hmmmm....

Teilen